Mercy Health Youngstown’s St. Joseph Warren Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program is an AOA and ACOEP sponsored program. We are affiliated with Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (CORE), St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital, and Akron Children's Hospital.
St. Joseph’s is a Level III Trauma Center with an annual ER patient volume of approximately 35,000. Residents are exposed to a variety of patients including pediatric, cardiac, OB/GYN and trauma with a high acuity of illness. The program incorporates the use of bedside ultrasound and Glyde Scope in our clinical practice and offers ample opportunity for procedures. Our residents enjoy increasing clinical autonomy as they progress through the program. The program didactics include weekly lecture participation with access to additional educational programs via Ohio University and Mercy Health along with the use of our state of the art clinical Simulation Lab. Attendance at the Ohio ACEP and ACOEP board review courses add to the residents' educational experience.
- Trauma -St. Joseph is a Level III Trauma Center as a base hospital with ER/Trauma/SICU/MICU rotations each year at St. Elizabeth, the area's only Level I Trauma Center.
- Pediatrics -associated with Akron Children's Hospital l main campus in Akron, OH and Mahoning Valley Hospital campus in Boardman, OH.
- SimMan -incorporating a fully functional clinical simulation lab capable of practicing procedures including thoracostomy tubes, paracardiocentesis, intubations, emergency airways, joint aspirations, utrasounds and more.
- Weekly Lectures -given by attendings
- Ultrasound experience -required clinically each shift by a resident, as well as formal training and didactics.
- Community EMS -prehospital EMS rotations and exposure, as well as the option for helicopter experience.