High-quality care & high-quality caring
Mercy Health is a mission-driven organization committed to making every patient’s life better — mind, body and spirit. Delivering high quality patient care is central to our Mission and to our ministry.
As the largest health system in Ohio and one of the largest nonprofit healthcare ministries in the United States, we never stop trying to do an even better job of caring for those we serve.
With this in mind, we have established a clear goal — that Mercy Health services will reduce variation and achieve at least top quartile performance as measured across all the STEEEP aims from the Institute of Medicine. These universal best practices aim for care that is Safe, Timely, Effective, Efficient, Equitable and Patient-centered.
Additionally, Mercy Health continually strive to improve the quality and safety of our care by implementing these measures:
- We track our progress with regard to nationally designated quality measures, including the recommended elements of evidence-based care to prevent surgical infections and to treat heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia.
- Our Performance Improvement Collaboratives, which are based on the Institute for Healthcare Improvement Breakthrough Series Collaborative model, bring together leaders and clinicians throughout Mercy Health to achieve breakthrough progress in areas such as mortality and harm reduction, perinatal, emergency care, perioperative and care coordination.
- We are implementing EPIC CarePATH, a dynamic electronic health record that enables coordinated patient care and up-to-date information-sharing among physicians' offices, the emergency department, and inpatient and outpatient hospital care teams.
- Through the use of performance improvement strategies such as Lean Six Sigma, we are redesigning clinical processes to make them more efficient and effective and to increase our capability to provide safe care with a high degree of reliability.
- We have established executive academies that enhance our leaders’ abilities to lead the way to safer, more effective care. We offer a Patient Safety Academy for hospital presidents, as well as Physician Leadership Academy and a Nursing Leadership Academy.
- We provide patient safety training in teamwork and communication to help clinicians acquire a comprehensive set of evidence-based communication tools and teamwork strategies.
- We partner with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), using IHI tools and resources and participating in several of the IHI’s clinical initiatives that bring together hospitals and physicians from across the country to learn innovative practices and share ideas and best practices.
As a result of these efforts, we consistently rank nationally in the top 20 percent of health systems in the nation for quality and efficiency by Truven, an independent healthcare consulting firm.
But don’t just take our word for it. We invite you to review the quality data for each of our hospitals at Hospital Compare, managed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
We want you to feel confident that you will receive the finest possible care when you come to us. Anything less would fall short of what the Sisters who founded our health system expect from us — and of what we expect from ourselves.