Surgery Residency Program
Whether their role is first assistant, surgeon junior, surgeon chief or teaching assistant, our residents gain valuable operative experience covering a wide spectrum of cases starting in their intern year. From interns to chiefs, surgical residents, in the academic year 2016-2017, logged approximately 3,282 cases at Mercy Health - St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, 986 cases at Mercy Health - St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital and 598 cases at Mercy Health - St. Joseph Warren Hospital.
- Educate physicians dedicated to providing skilled and knowledgeable surgical care to patients and who are responsible, ethical, compassionate professionals.
- Provide surgical education that emphasizes graded authority and increasing responsibility as experience is gained in the operative and nonoperative evaluation and treatment of disease.
- Foster an environment that enables residents to become competent in the six core competencies at the level expected of a surgical practitioner.
- Foster an educational environment that enables residents to achieve certification by the American Board of Surgery (ABS).
- Motivate resident commitment for professional growth through a lifelong process of self-education.
- Learn the concepts and practice of general surgery.
- Increase knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of disease in the nine components of general surgery (head and neck, breast, skin and soft tissues, alimentary tract, abdomen, vascular system, endocrine system, comprehensive management of trauma, burns and emergency surgery, and surgical critical care.)
- Acquire an understanding of the principles in preoperative, operative, and postoperative care in cadiothoracic surgery, pediatric surgery, plastic surgery and transplant surgery.
- Participate in the management of patients with common problems in urology, gynecology, neurological surgery, orthopedics, burns and anesthesiology.
- Provide opportunities to manage patients who may or may not require surgical intervention and to acquire skill in nonoperative management.
- Provide a learning experience in critical thinking, design of experiments, evaluation of data and advances in technology.
- Encourage participation in research activities.
- ACGME General Surgery Program Requirements
Contact for more information:
Academic Specialist-General Surgery Residency Program
NEOMED/LECOM Surgery Clerkship Coordinator
|St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital offers leading-edge surgical suites.
The surgical suites at St. Elizabeth offer many technological advantages including "green-lighting" featured in the suite designed for laparascopic procedures.
|All in a days work|