Mercy Health — West Hospital Ostomy Services
Mercy Health — West Hospital, the only Mercy Health Wound Care Center to offer ostomy services, provides a continuum of care for persons with an ostomy in both the inpatient and outpatient settings.
Our goals for the person/families with a new or established ostomy are to:
- Promote self-care and return to lifestyle
- Provide patient and family education throughout the acute care and outpatient setting
- Prevent skin complications and promote healing
- Act as a resource for all persons with an ostomy and/or family, regardless of where the original surgery was performed or how long they have had the ostomy
- In both the inpatient and outpatient setting we work closely with your surgeon/ physician to provide continuity of care and services
Outpatient Ostomy Services
- Pre-operative consultation and education
- Post-operative consultation
- Consultation and treatment of peristomal skin complications
- Fit for peristomal hernia belts.
- Tube site skin breakdown and drainage management
- Cutaneous fistula management
Outpatient clinic appointments do not require a physician order, so call today to schedule a visit.
Inpatient Ostomy Services
A Certified Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse (CWOCN) with over 3 years of experience provides services to acute care patients with any type of ostomy. The hospital CWOCN works collaboratively with surgeons, physicians and staff to provide ostomy care and education.
Ostomy Support Group
A Community-based Ostomy Support Group is an active group of persons with ostomies who meet every other month at Mercy Heath — West Hospital. The inpatient CWOCN coordinates the group’s meetings. Members meet at Mercy Health — West Hospital on the third Tuesday every other month in January, March, May, September and November, and are off during the summer months. The goal of this group is to provide education and support in a casual atmosphere for the patient/families. The meetings are open to patients/ families with either new or established ostomies. To get more information, call 513-215-0675.