Fresh Start: Smoking Cessation Sessions
Spring is just around the corner, marking a time of new beginnings. Why not mark the start of a new and improved you by quitting smoking. While quitting is tough, the benefits to you and those who love you are worth it. Mercy Health can help you make a change for the better with a free series of quit smoking cessation classes.
The classes, which are based on the American Cancer Society’s Freshstart program, explore physical and psychological aspects of nicotine addiction. Class size is limited to 15 attendees for comfortable group interaction and discussion. Groups discuss changes they made that helped them quit as well as quitting issues they need help overcoming. Attendance at all four sessions is required to complete the class. This is because the classes build on each other to help participants develop a personalized quit plan.
The classes take place on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 10 - 6:00pm - 7:30pm
- The “Decide to Quit” session covers the negative health consequences of smoking and helps motivate attendees to quit the habit.
- Thursday, March 12 - 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- The “Plan to Quit” session takes attendees through choosing a quit date, medications that can help smokers quit the habit, the importance of support and building a support group and preparing for the quit date.
- Tuesday, March 17- 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- The "Your Quit Day” session covers topics such as how to quit successfully, dealing with nicotine withdrawal and cravings and positive thinking.
- Thursday, March 19 - 6:00pm -7:00pm
- The “Staying Quit” session covers mental planning, recovering from slips and lung screenings and provides information about the Ohio Quit Line.
The instructor suggests each attendee sign up for the Ohio Quit Line for additional support while quitting.
Please call 513-215-9180 by Friday, March 6th to reserve your spot!
The classes will be held in in West Hospital’s Cardiopulmonary Rehab Department, located in Suite 550 of the medical office building nearest the hospital.