Coordinated, compassionate breast care
Breast cancer patients are paired with one of our two dedicated nursing professionals, who provide gentle reassurance and guidance starting at the moment of diagnosis. This is a complimentary program to provide all breast cancer patients with a medical companion to help them navigate through their entire breast cancer journey. Nurse navigators ensure all medical, emotional and educational needs are met with as little stress as possible.
The nurse navigator’s services are provided free of charge by Lourdes Women's Center and include:
- Helps patients and their families understand treatment options and what their diagnosis means.
- Assists breast cancer patients with accessing appointments and resources in the community.
- Refers patients to appropriate resources and professionals.
- Provides consultation to physicians and other health care providers regarding resources and services available to breast cancer patients.
- Provides consultation to breast cancer patients and their families to assess and determine personal needs and concerns.
- Maintains communication with breast cancer patients to check progress through the course of their experience to help assure their needs are being met.
- Insures that important support needs are met—for example connects patient to cancer counselors, peer support and groups.
- Makes spiritual referral as appropriate.
- Educates patients about resources available to them.
- Assists patients in searching for online information as well as maintains a library of education information.