Did You Know?
- Every day in the United States, blood is needed in hospitals and emergency treatment facilities to care for patients with cancer and other diseases, for organ transplantrecipients, and to help save the lives of accident and trauma victims.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed each day.
- Blood can be separated into at least three components: red blood cells, plasma, platelets.
- Just one blood donation can help save up to three lives.
- In an emergency, anyone can receive type O negative red blood cells, and type AB individuals can receive red blood cells of any ABO group. Therefore, people with type O negative blood are known as “universal donors.”
About Mercy Health - Youngstown Blood Donor Services
When you donate through Mercy Health Blood Donor Services, it stays here, in the community.
Through the help of our generous volunteer blood donors, we have not had to cancel surgeries at Mercy Health - St. Elizabeth Youngstown, Mercy Health - St. Elizabeth Boardman or Mercy Health - St. Joseph Warren Hospitals during a blood donor shortage.
Platelet Apheresis Program
Mercy Health Blood Donor Services collect blood at our two donor room locations: St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, Youngstown, Ohio and St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital, Boardman, Ohio.
Donating Blood is Easy!
Schedule an appointment online to donate blood or call (330) 480-2595 for an appointment.