Hepatology is a branch of medicine focused on the study, prevention, diagnosis and management of diseases that affect the liver, gallbladder, biliary tree and pancreas.
The liver is a key focus in hepatology care. Hepatitis, commonly treated in hepatology care, affects millions of individuals globally. It is associated with several diseases such as liver cancer. In particular, hepatitis B and hepatitis C are major causes of liver cancer, while alcohol abuse has been linked to cirrhosis and other serious complications.
While the most frequent conditions hepatology specialists deal with are viral hepatitis and alcohol-related disease, Mercy Health offers comprehensive care solutions across all areas of hepatology.
Hepatology Services We Offer
- Liver function tests
- Liver surgery
- Image-guided liver biopsy
- Liver-directed chemotherapy
- Liver tumor ablation
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography)
- PET-CT (positron emission tomography-computed tomography)
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography
- Radiation therapy
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- TIPS (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt)
- Transjugular liver biopsy
- Triphasic liver CT scanning
Alcoholic liver disease
Fatty liver disease
Cysts, masses or abscesses of the liver
Find a Doctor
Hepatology specialists near you
Find a Location
Our locations that can treat you
Hepatology Articles and Resources
News and Events
Mercy Health - Cincinnati, which provides advanced, quality, compassionate care in your neighborhood through its care network, announces that The Jewish Hospital offers a robotic-assisted, minimally-invasive option for patients who need pancreatic ...