Created with particular concern for patient and family convenience, the 23-bed step-down and intensive care unit located on the third floor of The Jewish Hospital – Mercy Health, is designed to make every aspect of treatment as stress-free as possible. All of the services patients need are located on site.
The inpatient unit includes:
- Nineteen private HEPA-filtered patient rooms with private bathrooms
- Four full intensive care unit rooms, large enough to handle all equipment needed by a patient with complications requiring closer monitoring
- Full cardiac monitoring capabilities in all rooms
- Cable television and DVD players in each room
- Laundry facilities
- Two Nutrition Centers/kitchens for families stocked with a wide variety of soups, snacks and frozen items
- Spacious accommodations for family members
- Free wireless internet access
- An activity room equipped with DVDs, books, magazines, puzzles, games, and a computer with full Internet access and printer. There is also a stationary bike and treadmill available for patients who wish to get more vigorous exercise while inpatient. The activity room also has a viewing area for patients to visit with children and family members who may not be able to safely enter the unit.
- A family waiting room just outside the unit equipped with a television, table and chairs, microwave, recliners and couches, laundry facilities, and a restroom with shower facilities.
The unit's capabilities provide for all patient needs including any complications. Therefore patients remain in the Blood Cancer Center for all of their treatment and stay with nurses and other caregivers who understand their special needs.