Mercy Health – Cincinnati announces that the West Hospital Auxiliary awarded $20,000 in college scholarships to 11 local students who are pursuing careers in health care. Each year, the Auxiliary’s Scholarship Committee solicits applications from 26 schools in West Hospital’s service area for the following scholarships:
- Employee dependent
- Hospital volunteer
This year, the Scholarship Committee received 26 applications from students at nine different schools.
“All of the applicants were excellent candidates. The quality of their grades, activities, essays and recommendations was superb,” said Shirley Frey, who chairs the Auxiliary’s Scholarship Committee. “We’re pleased to financially assist the education of future health care leaders.”
The students received their scholarships at a special meeting of the West Hospital Auxiliary held on May 2.
Details on the winners and their plans follow below.
Employee Dependent Scholarship:
- Riddhi Bhatt, Colerain High School, $2,500, Pre-Med at Ohio State
- Alyssa Baldwin, Mercy McAuley High School, $2,500, Optometry at Ohio State
- Emily Dillman, Mercy McAuley, $1,250, Pre-Med at Ohio State
- Katelyn Freese, Mercy McAuley, $1,250, Psychology at University of Kentucky
- Kathryn Froehle, Mercy McAuley, $1,250, Pharmacy, at University of Cincinnati
- Jacqueline Monnig, Mercy McAuley, $1,250, Physical Therapy at Miami University
- Davis Ballard, Harrison High School, $2,500, Biology, Ohio State
- Jack Dowling, Elder High School, $2,500, Pre-Med, Ohio State
- Megan Fliter, Harrison High School, $1,250, Physician Assistant, Purdue
- Claire Forbes, Taylor High School, $2,500, Forensic Pathology, University of Cincinnati
- Grace Miller, Mercy McAuley, $1,250, Speech Therapy at University of Cincinnati
The Auxiliary of Mercy Health – West Hospital raises funds for charitable care and capital purchases that help the hospital provide top quality care to the patients it serves. The Auxiliary also awards annual scholarships to talented area students embarking on healthcare careers.