The goal of Mercy Health Acute Rehabilitation Unit is to ensure an optimum level of recovery while providing cost-effective outcomes for our patients. Patients work closely with members of their treatment team, which is under the direction of a physician who specializes in rehabilitation called a physiatrist.
Our facility, located on the campus of Mercy Health – St. Charles Hospital offers:
- 18 private rooms with large private bathrooms
- An activity area where you can meet and mingle with other patients who face many of the same challenges you do. Or, you can gather there with family and friends
- Your family is strongly encouraged to participate in and assist with your daily activities and therapies
Services We Provide
The Acute Rehabilitation Unit provides physical and cognitive rehabilitation programs in an acute hospital setting for individuals who have experienced a disabling injury or illness. The rehab team may include physical, occupational, and/or recreational therapists; speech/language pathologist; audiologist; psychiatrist; pastoral care; registered dietician; and a prosthetist/orthotist. Patients and their families receive assistance in creating a discharge plan to return home.
Acute Rehab specializes in treating patients who have the following conditions:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Major Multiple Trauma
- Brain Injury
- Arthritis (patients who meet specific criteria)
- Fractured Hips and femurs
- Joint Replacements (patients who meet specific criteria)
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease, polyneuropathy, and multiple sclerosis
- Other diagnoses are reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Must need at least two different types of therapy
- Must need 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care, and have the potential to improve such functional abilities as mobility and self-care
- Must have the mental and physical capacity and motivation to take part in our program on a daily basis
Performance Report Cards
To have an assessment conducted which will be evaluated by our medical director, please call 419-696-5699 or 419-696-5660.
Acute Rehab accepts Medicare, Medicaid and most other insurance plans. Our assessment coordinator will call your insurance company to see approval for admission.