Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
The Wound Care Centers at St. Elizabeth and St. Joseph were the first hospitals to offer Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in the Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana counties.
The Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers that are a part of our Wound Care healing tools. These non- invasive clear acrylic chambers provide 100% oxygen to promote the optimum healing opportunity.
While breathing pure oxygen, the patient's blood plasma becomes saturated, carrying 20 to 30 times the normal amount of oxygen to the body's tissue. The ultimate result is the body's natural wound healing mechanisms (which are oxygen dependent) are able to function more efficiently. Continued use of hyperbaric oxygen treatment increases the body's immune and healing response.
Our certified hyperbaric technician and nurses will educate you with the knowledge to complete this treatment with the best results. The hyperbaric chambers each with its own TV for patients to watch movies or listen to music during treatment. The completely transparent chambers allow patients to see and be seen.
Conditions That May Benefit from Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment include:
- Diabetic wounds of the lower extremity
- Wounds that have not healed in several weeks
- Post-radiation tissue injury
- Wounds caused by poor circulation or trauma
- Compromised grafts and flaps
- Pressure ulcers
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Acute tramamatic peripheral ischemia
- Compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Indications for Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment