If it feels like you’ve tried every diet but your weight is still jeopardizing your health, bariatric surgery may be able to help you get you on the right track. Bariatric surgery is a medical weight loss option that can dramatically improve quality of life. Every year, tens of thousands of people turn to medical weight loss, including bariatric surgery when appropriate, to support their weight loss goals. If surgery is the best option for you, our bariatric surgeons are here for you before and after your surgery.
Surgical weight loss can provide benefits far beyond the number you see when you step on the scale. Bariatric surgery has been proven to reduce the risk of weight-related health problems including heart disease, diabetes and severe sleep apnea. Generally, weight loss surgery is either restrictive (making the stomach smaller) or malabsorptive (changing the path of the intestine).
Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery
Although every patient is different, candidates for weight loss surgery generally will meet criteria including:
- At least 18 years old
- An unsuccessful history of trying to lose weight through diet and exercise
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, which usually means being at least 100 pounds overweight
- A BMI of 35-39.9 along with a serious weight-related health problem (called a co-morbidity) such as diabetes, hypertension requiring multiple medications, sleep apnea, significant cardiopulmonary problems and obesity-related cardiomyopathy
Weight Loss Surgery Services We Offer
- Adjustable gastric banding
- Gastric bypass surgery (Roux-en-Y)
- Robotic weight loss surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
Sign Up to Find Your Solution
Ready to take the next step in your journey? Get connected with a weight loss expert and team in your area by filling out the form below.
Mercy Health focuses on more than just your short-term goals after surgery. Instead, we give you the ongoing coaching and support you need to live a healthier and better life, free of the fear of obesity and other health problems associated with being overweight. Our surgical weight loss programs give you the life skills and tools to keep the weight off for life.
Find a Doctor
Find a nearby doctor
Find a Location
Our locations that can treat you