Mercy Health – Cincinnati has a long and rich history of partnering with the communities it serves to help residents be well. It’s adding to that history by announcing that it has signed an agreement with Miami Valley Christian Academy to promote the health and wellness of the school’s student athletes.
“Miami Valley Christian Academy aims to prepare minds and hearts to impact the world for Christ,” said Athletic Director Robert Vilardo. “The wide array of innovative health and wellness services that Mercy Health will make available to our student athletes helps us ensure our success in reaching those aims.”
“Healthy minds and hearts help students reach their goals on the field, in the classroom and in life. Mercy Health is proud to partner with Miami Valley Christian Academy to help its student athletes be well,” said Ken James, Mercy Health East Market President and CEO. “In addition to health services, our partnership provides educational opportunities for athletes, parents and staff, such as topical presentations, internship opportunities and classroom speakers. Staff and families can also take advantage of wellness opportunities available through the Mercy Health – Anderson HealthPlex.”
Mercy Health will provide a certified athletic trainer to serve as the school’s primary athletic trainer and a Mercy Health Physician and sports medicine specialist will serve as the school’s team physician. The athletic trainers will work under the advice and counsel of the team physician.
The athletic trainer provides a comprehensive array of services to promote and ensure the safety of the school's student athletes, including the following injury prevention services:
- ImPACT concussion baseline testing
- Baseline lower extremity testing
- Annual pre-participation physicals
- Sportsmetrics ACL injury prevention program for female athletes
The athletic trainer also:
- Manages and oversees the athletic training room
- Advises the school on the supplies and training equipment needed for the athletic training program
- Assists faculty and athletic coaching staff in the design and implementation of a student athletic training program and continuing education program and other related health and wellness programs as needed by the school, including providing speakers to address relevant topics for career days, etc.
- Provides strength, conditioning and flexibility training suggestions and programs to the coaching staff through the advice of a certified strength and conditioning specialist and with the consent of the team physician
- Monitors athletic injuries and develops injury prevention training and programs with the advice and consent of the team physician
- Coordinates and provides injury follow-up and evaluation with the physicians of Mercy Health
- Provides and arranges all coverage for a wide array of sports, including soccer, volleyball and basketball games, tournaments, events and practices, throughout the school year
- Provides priority appointments for injured athletes
- Provides Saturday walk-in clinics through the fall sports season and year round at the after-hours clinic at Mercy Health - Wellington Orthopedic and Sports Medicine, Anderson
In addition, the physician will provide direct orthopedic care for athletic injuries and injury prevention training for the athletes. The partnership gives Miami Valley Christian Academy athletes preferred access to treatment, diagnostic equipment such as x-rays or CAT scans and physical therapy options.
Mercy Health is the source for the most comprehensive sports medicine care in Cincinnati, with an easily accessible network of healthcare professionals providing the most modern care available for athletes of all levels; athletic trainer coverage for over 30 local high schools and colleges, multiple club sports and performing arts organizations, including the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Red Hawks and the Cincinnati Ballet; outpatient rehabilitation with special attention to restoring function; injury prevention training; performance training and an ongoing commitment to education and research. Its high school partners benefit from the most robust school partnership in the region.