Mercy Health Life Flight Network is pleased to announce the 2017 recipients of The Dr. Frank Foss EMS Excellence Awards. The annual awards recognize regional fire and EMS agencies for providing outstanding patient care in very critical or unusual situations. The award is named for Frank Foss, M.D., a Toledo-area surgeon and pioneer of emergency medicine who helped start the Life Flight more than 36 years ago.
The 2017 recipients are:
- Deshler Fire Department
- Henry County South Joint ambulance Dept.
- Napoleon Fire Department
- Damascus Township Fire and Rescue
- Celina Fire Department
- Rockford Fire and EMS
- St. Mary's Fire Department
- Mendon Fire Department
The agencies are being recognized for their response and care at two different crash scenes in 2016:
- May 23, 2016: multiple vehicle accident on US 33 near Celina, Ohio involving a semi-truck and tractor trailer. US 33 was closed for 8 hours. Multiple injuries, multiple EMS and Air ambulance called for patient transports resulting in extensive team work to ensure all patients, including a pediatric patient, were treated and transferred successfully.
- On Aug 12, 2016: in Deshler Ohio there was a multiple vehicle accident carrying a girls’ sports team. There were several victims including a fatality as well as an entrapment at the scene. Multiple fire and EMS agencies responded to secure the scene, treat victims and transfer them appropriately.
An awards ceremony was held on February 7, during the annual Mercy Health Life Flight Network Partners for Life Conference.