Infant Safety and Security
The safety and security of your family and your newborn are top priority at the Little Miracles Birthing Center. While we have a state-of-the-art security system in place, your family also can take some simple steps to ensure the safety of your newborn.
The following safety tips are based on the recommendations of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC):
- Tour the birth facility where you plan to deliver and ask about their security measures and hospital protocols.
- At the birth facility, never leave your newborn out of your view, even when just using the restroom. If you plan to nap, alert nurses or have a family member available to watch your newborn. Keep the infant’s crib on the far side of the bed away from the door.
- Do not release your infant to any unauthorized person. If you have any questions or concerns, ask for a charge nurse or manager.
- Become familiar with the nurses working in the maternity department. All staff at the Lourdes Little Miracles Birthing Center wear yellow name badges.
- Immediately alert the nurses’ station if an unfamiliar person enters your room or inquires about your infant.
- If your baby has to leave your room for any tests or procedures, ask where your newborn will be taken and how long the procedure will take.
- For your home records, have a full length photograph of your newborn and have a written description of your newborn’s physical characteristics including hair and eye color, weight, length, date of birth, and specific physical characteristics such as birthmarks.
- Only allow persons who are well known to you into your home.
- While yard signs and announcements in the paper let family and friends know about the birth of your baby, this type of advertising also could encourage unwanted solicitations and calls or even put you and your family at risk of harm or abduction. We urge you to consider the possible harm these actions may unintentionally provoke before using signs or public announcements.
- If you need to take your infant out of the home, take a trusted friend or family member with you when possible as an extra set of hands and eyes to help protect your newborn.
- Never leave your child alone in a motor vehicle or allow someone you don’t know to pick up or hold your infant. Little Miracles Birthing Center partners with Mom365 for
your newborn photographs. Mom365’s web nursery is a secure site and no last names are revealed on their website.
We welcome any questions you have regarding your infant’s safety. Thank you for allowing the staff of the Little Miracles Birthing Center to celebrate your newborn’s birthday with you.
Infant Car Seat Safety
Did you know that 98% of all car seats are installed incorrectly?
Lourdes and the Paducah Fire Department (PDF) have teamed up to make sure your baby is riding safe. Trained technicians, who each complete a 32-hour course, will show you how to properly install the car seat so your child is properly restrained while on the road.
- In the sixth or seventh month of your pregnancy, call 270-444-8522 to make an appointment with the fire department to learn how to install your baby’s seat correctly.
- Allowing enough time before your due date to complete this most important task is essential since some babies arrive early.
- When you come to your appointment, the PFD may have an emergency call and not be at the station. Please remember emergency calls take priority. If you are receiving a free car seat, and your appointment is interrupted, the car seat must remain at the station until you are taught how to correctly use it.
Click to download:
For more information, please call (270) 444-2243.