Speak UpAsk questions and voice concerns. It’s your health and you have a right to know.
Pay AttentionFeel free to ask about your treatments and medications.
Find OutLearn about the medical procedures you will be getting and your treatment plan.
Find An AdvocatePick a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate.
What Meds & WhyKnow what medications you take and why you are taking them.
Participate In Your CareYou are the center of the health care team.
Suggestions to Take Charge of Your Care
- Write down any questions you have, so they will be handy when your physician or nurse sees you.
- Choose a family member to communicate with the physicians and staff.
- Keep a list of physicians you see and the medications they prescribe.
- Stay informed about your medical condition.
- Know the details of your treatment plan.
- Understand the tests and procedures you will undergo.
Your physician or nurse can answer these questions. Take notes when you speak with your physician, or have a trusted friend or family member take notes for you, so you can refer to them later. Also ask for any written information your physician may be able to provide about your condition and/or treatments.
Remember, you’re in charge. You can contribute to health care safety.