The innovative otolaryngology residency program is a five-year otolaryngology head and neck surgery residency program with ACGME Initial Accreditation status. Residents will be supported by certified otolaryngologists and plastic surgeons who focus on general otolaryngology, as well as pediatric, head and neck cancer, laryngology, rhinology, otology and facial plastics. Each resident will have hands-on exposure and appropriate clinical experience in a variety of otolaryngology-based clinical, procedural, and surgical applications.
Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital is part of the Mercy Health Youngstown region. At Mercy Health, top-tier administrators and practice managers encourage engagement, input, quality, wellness and a great work/life balance.
- Magnet recognition since 2011
- 92% physician satisfaction
- A comprehensive integrated electronic health record, EPIC CarePATH
- Services four hospitals in the Youngstown region with three separate clinics, with our newest surgery center being a multi-specialty unit with capabilities for in-office procedures, CT scans, ultrasound and a lab
- Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital is a Level I Trauma Center
- Mercy Health Youngstown region hospitals are community-based
Mission and Aims
The mission of our program is to develop leaders in academic otolaryngology with a community focus. Our graduates will strive to provide excellence and leadership in clinical practice, as well as the added aptitude for research to progress the field of otolaryngology. We believe in a strong, well-rounded clinical, surgical and ethical mindset promoting resident achievement in personal and surgical excellence.
Our program aligns closely with the mission of Bon Secours Mercy Health to provide care to the poor, sick and underserved community. Residents who match with our program should expect to receive intensive clinical and surgical experience allowing for wide ranging opportunities in their academic or private practice careers.
The program’s aims are guided by the mission statement:
- Encourage residents' academic and research knowledge base and surgical skill set to provide quality patient care to a diverse, underserved patient population.
- Develop residents' leadership skills by progressively delineating responsibilities to residents in patient care, management and procedural supervision, ensuring residents provide appropriate continuity of care within the community.
- Foster residents' exposure to diverse, underserved patient population by practicing medicine in various community clinic locations and surgical facilities while promoting patient health in Northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania.
Program Name: St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital Otolaryngology Residency Program
ACGME ID number: 2803800129
Accreditation Status: Initial Accreditation
Next Site Visit: July 2021
Accredited Length of Training: Five years
Approved Resident Positions: Five residents, accepts one resident per year