Our program has been in place for more than 50 years. We offer a comprehensive program that encompasses education in basis sciences, training in technical skills and the acquisition of evidence-based, clinical skills. In addition, our graduates are equipped with the skills of inquiry, analysis and communication to achieve roles of leadership as lifelong scholars and clinicians.
Our mission is to train excellent surgeons who will improve the health and well-being of their communities, especially for those most in need, by providing patient centered, genuinely compassionate, highly knowledgeable and technically superior surgical care in any environment. We also aim:
- To provide in-depth training in the core components of general surgery.
- To provide broad exposure to surgical specialty diseases and procedures.
- To ensure graduates can provide outstanding acute, inpatient care for a spectrum of critically ill and injured patients.
- To train graduates to meaningfully contribute to the comprehensive care of patients with hepatobiliary and breast diseases.
- To graduate surgeons with technical mastery of open, endoscopic and minimally invasive (including robotic) procedures.
- To graduate surgeons with capability to comfortably and confidently enter any post-graduate activity of their choice including a fellowship training program, urban, suburban or rural community-based practice, or even mission-based surgery.
Program Name: Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital General Surgery Residency Program
ACGME ID number: 4403811270
Accreditation Status: Continued Accreditation
Next Site Visit: was due in 2019
Length of Training: Five years
Program Size: Four residents accepted per year