Compensation and Benefits
- PGY 1: $57,700
- Health insurance is available for resident and eligible dependents as per hospital policy. Includes a resident contribution and the following benefits: medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision care administered through an approved provider program.
- Long-term disability insurance is payable to eligible employees according to hospital policy.
- Life Insurance is provided for in the amount of one-time payment of the resident's annual salary.
- Professional Liability Insurance is provided in the form of an occurrence policy for coverage of all residency-related critical activities.
Paid Time Off
Residents are eligible for $1,500 and five days of conference time per academic year.
- Moving expenses: A one-time moving allowance is available for eligible residents at an amount not to exceed $1,000.
Lifestyle in the Area
Youngstown is in northeastern Ohio, roughly 10 miles from the Pennsylvania border. It is situated halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, about 90 minutes from each city center. Youngstown and the surrounding area are home to a large variety of recreational activities including several parks, golf courses, disc golf, museums and historic sites, live theater and music performances, bike trails, as well as many festivals and more. Popular areas for residents to live include Boardman, Niles, Canfield, Warren, Girard and Vienna.
What to Expect
As a PGY 1 resident in the Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital Transitional Year Residency Program, you will work with residents from many of the other training programs including internal medicine, surgery, orthopedics, family practice and emergency medicine. You will work and teach medical students from Northeast Ohio Medical University and Lake Erie College of Medicine. This balanced curriculum with four months of electives will allow you to tailor the curriculum to your needs.
Residents will take call during general internal medicine, general surgery and medical ICU rotations. Residents may take call on other rotations, if desired. The St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital Transitional Year faculty are committed to help residents create, design and customize their educational experience needed to ensure preparedness for future training.