Welcome to Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center's Emergency Medicine Residency Program. We are one of the oldest emergency medicine residency programs in the country, originating in 1974, and are still going strong.
We are an ACGME accredited three-year program, offering 14 positions each year. Our program director has been with us for over 25 years and is dedicated to his residents excelling and becoming the best emergency physicians possible. Since our program was established, we have graduated close to 500 residents who work in 26 states and countries around the world.
Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center is a certified Adult Level I and Pediatric Level II Trauma Center and the only Burn Center in Toledo. Our Emergency Department volume in 2019 was about 66,000 patients. St. Vincent is also home to Mercy Health Children's Hospital, which helps care for our tiniest of patients. We are an accredited Stroke and STEMI Center. Our residents can see a variety of both common and complex pathology. Senior residents have the option of participating in an aeromedicine curriculum starting in their second year of residency, serving as the primary flight physicians for the Life Flight/Mobile Life Critical Care Transportation Network.
- Develop the emergency resident for the practice of emergency medicine from initial presentation to definitive care.
- Acquire the basic skills and knowledge that constitute the foundations of emergency medicine practice.
- Demonstrate ability to apply principles of emergency medicine to the management of clinical problems.
- Develop clinical maturity, judgment and technical skill to allow for practicing emergency medicine independently and develop skills for lifelong learning.
- Learn to monitor their own wellbeing.
- Practice emergency medicine as a patient advocate.
Program Name: Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center Emergency Medicine Residency Program
ACGME ID number: 1103812040
Accreditation Status: Continued Accreditation
Next Site Visit: January 2031
Length of Training: 3 years
Approved Resident Positions: 42, accepts 14 residents each year