Welcome to the General Surgery Residency Program at Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center. This is a five-year program with continued accreditation by ACGME and we are currently approved to accept three new residents per year. Our mission is to provide broad exposure to general surgery cases with strong specialty rotations provided in vascular, pediatric, trauma, cardiothoracic, minimally invasive/robotic and bariatric surgery.
St. Vincent Medical Center is a Level I Trauma/Tertiary Care Center with 3,000 trauma visits annually. St. Anne’s Hospital is a community hospital in the Mercy Health system that provides a broad exposure to routine general surgery cases. Our commitment is that graduating residents are ready for immediate entry into general surgery clinical practice or pursuit of fellowship training.
- To provide a robust community hospital learning environment to train residents
- To provide training which is patient-centered, evidence-based and committed to the wellbeing of our community, especially those who are poor, dying and underserved.
- Broad exposure in both the central city and suburban patient populations that will prepare the resident to care for culturally diverse populations in a community hospital setting with commitment and compassion.
- To graduate compassionate, practice-ready general surgeons who are ready to enter the community hospital setting or seek fellowship training and will be committed to excellence, constant performance improvement and a desire to improve the quality of their patients' lives and their communities.
- To develop graduates who will choose to practice in underserved areas and demonstrate a sensitivity to culturally diverse patient and community needs.
Program Name: Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center General Surgery Residency Program
ACGME ID number: 4403800400
Accreditation Status: Continued Accreditation
Length of Training: 5 years
Total Approved Resident Positions: 15, accepts three residents per year