How to Apply — General Surgery Residency at St. Vincent Medical Center
Application DeadlineOur deadline for applications is Dec. 1. All interviews will be conducted via Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ERASApplications are accepted ONLY through the Electronic Residency Applications System (ERAS). We do not accept paper applications, please do not send anything via postal mail, email or fax.
Match Program Participation
Our program participates in the National Resident Matching Program.
NRMP Program Number: 1580440C0
FREIDA Identifier: 4403800400
ACGME Program Number: 4403800400
To be considered for the program, a completed ERAS application must include:
- An official Dean’s Letter or equivalent from medical school
- Two or more letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE or COMLEX test scores. Candidates who have a test failure will not be eligible for consideration
Basic requirements for consideration of applications:
- United States citizen, permanent resident or able to obtain visa.
- Graduate (or on track to graduate) with MD or DO degree from a medical school in the U.S. or Canada within the last five years.
- International medical school graduates must have a valid ECFMG certification or a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the U.S.
- Completed ERAS application
International Medical Graduate (IMG) applicants must meet the following qualifications for full consideration:
- Must have US health care experience
- Must have a valid ECFMG certification at the time of match
- Board scores – COMLEX and/or USMLE Step 1 required, Step 2 preferred. Prior to starting residency, you must have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK and CS of either USMLE or COMLEX. We prefer all listed steps be passed on the first attempt.
- No cut-off date for medical school graduation, but preferred within the last five years
Visa sponsorship is evaluated on a case-by-case basis for J-1 Visa and H-1B Visa. H-1B Visas are preferred and offered on a on a very limited basis to exceptional candidates only.