Mercy Cancer Center is committed to delivering the latest and most effective radiation treatments, while providing safety and comfort for our patients. We develop the best treatment plans for patients based on their needs and care for each patient with compassion.
Two state-of-the-art linear accelerators deliver the following innovative radiation treatments:
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Treatments (SBRT) -- With the installation of our newest $3.3 million linear accelerator, the Versa HD, we are able to provide SBRT, a high level treatment which delivers high dose radiation with an extra level of accuracy, safety and precision using a hexapod table. We are currently the only provider of this technology in Lorain County and the only one of nine UH sites where it is available.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) using VMAT technique – This technology allows us to provide treatments that are more efficient and take less time to deliver. This type of treatment spares the healthy tissue as well as critical organs such as the spinal cord or rectum (head/neck or prostate cancers) and increases patient comfort.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) -- Depending on the patient’s need, we are able to offer a greater level of position accuracy through IGRT, which uses an additional x-ray tube to produce CT images of the patient’s tumor right before treatment. This information helps the physician and therapists to localize the tumor position within millimeters.
- 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy – This provides the standard of care treatment for breast, lung and brain cancers.
- Shallow tumors such as skin cancer, can be treated with a choice of five electron beams.
- Big Bore CT Simulator -- Patients can benefit from this technology which is capable of 4D scans incorporating respiratory motion into the treatment plan. For treatment planning purposes, this is like watching a video as compared to still photography.
- Respiratory Gating Using Breath-Hold Technique – This technology allows us to deliver radiation doses with an extra level of safety for tumors in the left breast to protect important organs such as the heart.
- Mercy Cancer Center uses the latest radiation treatment planning software and hardware from Phillips, including auto-planning. Auto-planning is more efficient and creates a high quality, more robust treatment plan by using a very sophisticated computer algorithm.